Christian Appalachian Project offers two summer camp programs in Eastern Kentucky: Camp Andrew Jackson and Camp Shawnee. Both provide a rewarding week of learning and fun to hundreds of Appalachian children each summer. The camps serve those who could otherwise not afford the opportunity to attend a summer camp.
Summer Camp activities include canoeing, fishing, arts and crafts, swimming, hiking, camping, and field games. While all the activities are fun for the children, they also provide the opportunity to learn important life skills such as leadership, safety, team building, self-esteem, and respect for others. The kids love the activities, but what they remember most about camp are the volunteers who cared enough to spend their summer with them.
CAP’s summer camps would not be possible without the service of the short-term volunteers who come each June and July. The Summer Camp 2018 season is June 3 - July 27. Will you make a difference in a child’s life during Summer Camp? We need:
- AmeriCorps members: We are accepting applications for AmeriCorps members to serve in a variety of roles at our summer camps. Must serve the entire camp season to be eligible.
- Camp Counselors: If you are high energy and love the outdoors, we need you to be a hero for kids in need.
- Lifeguards or Counselor/Lifeguards: We do a lot of swimming and other water activities, so we need lifeguards to keep our campers safe. If you are not currently certified but are interested in becoming a lifeguard, training may be available.
- Medical personnel: We’re looking for RNs, LPNs, and EMTs.
- Arts and crafts leaders: Help inspire campers’ creativity by leading our arts and crafts activities.
- Photography/Social Media Coordinators: Help our camps' outreach to parents and the public by taking photos at camp and posting to social media.
- Floaters and office help: Volunteers are needed to answer phones and help process camper applications.
Volunteers are provided with room and board and may also be eligible for travel reimbursement up to $400 and an AmeriCorps Education Award ($1,253 for student loans or education expenses). To be considered as a camp volunteer, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Complete a thorough volunteer application, including three personal references and a criminal background check.
- Be 18 years old or older. We have no upper age limit.
- Make a commitment to the Volunteer Program’s pillars of Service, Community, and Spirituality and/or personal reflection.
- Serve for a minimum of three consecutive weeks (minimum one week for medical personnel).
- Pass a drug screening upon arrival at camp.
- Nurses (RN and LPN) must have a Kentucky license or be licensed in a state participating in the Nurse Licensure Compact.
Apply now to join us this summer.