You are here

Estate Planning and Planned Giving

Providing for Christian Appalachian Project in your will or trust

  • A gift through your will or trust is a popular method for leaving a bequest and is easy to accomplish with the assistance of your attorney.
  • With proper planning, you can provide for the future financial security of your loved ones first. Then you can designate CAP, and possibly your other charitable interests, to receive:
    • All or a portion of the remainder. A gift leaves any funds remaining to CAP after distributions to loved ones have been fulfilled. (see sample bequest language below)
    • A percentage. Direct a percentage of your estate to CAP. This allows the gift to remain in proportion to the size of your estate.
    • A fixed amount. Give a specific dollar amount.
    • Specific property. Give property other than cash to CAP.

Using your retirement plans or life insurance

You may decide to support CAP through gifts from a life insurance policy or any amount remaining in a retirement account beyond what you would like your family or others to receive.  Just request a change of beneficiary form to make your instructions known.

Bank and investment accounts

In many states, it is possible to specify that whatever remains in bank accounts becomes a charitable gift that will pass free of estate tax and outside the probate process.  This can be accomplished by filling out a simple change of beneficiary form.

Give and receive payments for life

With a CAP charitable gift annuity, you make a gift now but will receive regular fixed payments for life.  A gift annuity may be established for the life of one or two persons.

Establishing a charitable remainder or lead trust

For more information about charitable trusts and their benefits, please use the request form below, contact us at (859) 286-3005, or e-mail us at

Contributing gifts of real estate

A gift of real estate can be an excellent way to make a meaningful gift to CAP. Properties such as houses, farms, vacation homes, office buildings, undeveloped land, and rental property are common choices.

For more information, please use the request form below, contact us at (859) 286-3005, or e-mail us at

Making a gift of stock securities

When considering what assets to use to make a gift to CAP, stocks, bonds, mutual funds and other securities can be an attractive option and offer special tax benefits. Congress has provided that you can deduct the full value of such gifts, including any amount that would be owed in capital gains tax if sold and no capital gains is due on the gift.

If you would like to make a gift of stocks, bonds, or mutual funds to CAP, Inc. please use the request form below, contact us at (859) 286-3005, or e-mail us at

Important: In order to receive a tax receipt for gifts of appreciated securities, please notify us of the transaction by calling us at (859) 286-3005 or e-mailing